Remarks on Nylon Stockings

"Johnny, I mean, if the sound of a woman's nylon stockings swishing together, swish... swish, makes a sound that drives men crazy... why hide it? All a woman has to do is rub her thighs together to produce an exquisite friction." (Helen Gurley Brown talking to Johnny Carson)


A few years ago, I had some pairs of pantyhose that had seams on them. My favorite pair was a nude color with a black seam. That pair went bad and I couldn’t find a replacement at the store. I had my husband try to find them on the internet. He ordered a pair but ordered stockings instead of pantyhose. I didn’t realize this until I had opened the package. The stockings looked too long for me and I also noticed a defect in the top of the stockings. My husband said the hole was suppose to be there and that the web site also said real nylon stockings are better than pantyhose. I didn’t have a garter belt at the time and when I mentioned that these required a garter belt, he said, “Let’s go shopping.” OK, I couldn’t turn that offer down. I bought a garter belt and wore the stockings out for dinner. I was amazed how nice the stockings felt and looked on my legs.

October 24, 1939
A Run on Nylon Stockings

Stockings made from nylon, the world’s first synthetic fiber, first become publicly available in Wilmington, Delaware, where 4,000 pairs are sold in three hours. Manufactured by the DuPont Corporation, the stockings—a low-maintenance alternative to the silk hosiery that previously predominated the market—are an instant hit when they become available nationwide on May 15, 1940. During World War II, DuPont diverts nylon production to military purposes and donating the now-coveted stockings becomes a great act of patriotism. (Actress Betty Grable auctioned a pair of her nylons for the war effort. They went for $40,000.) By the 1950s, nylon is in high demand and can be found in everyday items from underwear and drip-dry suits to the high couture creations of Coco Chanel and Christian Dior.

No comments :